I was delighted to find a thematic connection between the following two references: that they constitute the terms of receiving eternal life. I've drawn appropriate attention to the corresponding phrase in each passage below.
And it came to pass that he said unto them:
Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now,
as ye are desirous
- to come into the fold of God, and
- to be called his people, and
- are willing to bear one another's burdens,
that they may be light; Yea, and
- are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and
- comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and
- to stand as witnesses of God
- at all times and
- in all things, and
- in all places that ye may be in,
- even until death,
that ye may be
- redeemed of God, and be
- numbered with those of the first resurrection,
that ye may have eternal life--
Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord,
- as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him,
- that ye will serve him and keep his commandments,
- that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?
And now when the people had heard these words, they clapped their hands for joy, and exclaimed: This is the desire of our hearts.
And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done?
Behold, I say unto you, Nay;
for ye have not come thus far save it were
- by the word of Christ
- with unshaken faith in him,
- relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.
Wherefore, ye must press forward
- with a steadfastness in Christ,
- having a perfect brightness of hope,
- and a love of God
- and of all men.
Wherefore, if ye shall press forward,
- feasting upon the word of Christ,
- and endure to the end,
behold, thus saith the Father:
Ye shall have eternal life.
Also, see Alma 7:14-16:
14 Now I say unto you that ye must repent, and be born again; for the Spirit saith if ye are not born again ye cannot inherit the kingdom of heaven; therefore come and be baptized unto repentance, that ye may be washed from your sins, that ye may have faith on the Lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the world, who is mighty to save and to cleanse from all unrighteousness.
15 Yea, I say unto you come and fear not, and lay aside every sin, which easily doth beset you, which doth bind you down to destruction, yea, come and go forth, and show unto your God that ye are willing to repent of your sins and enter into a covenant with him to keep his commandments, and witness it unto him this day by going into the waters of baptism.
16 And whosoever doeth this, and keepeth the commandments of God from thenceforth, the same will remember that I say unto him, yea, he will remember that I have said unto him,
he shall have eternal life,
according to the testimony of the Holy Spirit, which testifieth in me.