I think of "The Living Christ", The Testimony of the Apostles as if it were a chapter in the standard works. So, why not give it similar treatment, with footnotes referring to study helps and related passages in the scriptures? What follows is my own (unofficial) rendering of this important document.
1 As we commemorate the abirth of Jesus Christ two millennia ago, we offer our btestimony of the reality of His cmatchless life and the infinite virtue of His great datoning sacrifice. None other has had so eprofound an influence upon all who have lived and will yet live upon the earth.
- Isaiah 7:14; Luke 2:11; Alma 7:10; TG Jesus Christ, Birth of
- Matthew 16:15-17; D&C 76:22; TG Testimony
- 2 Nephi 31:9; John 13:15; TG Jesus Christ, Exemplar
- Articles of Faith 1:3; TG Jesus Christ, Atonement through
- John 21:25; D&C 19:15-19; D&C 45:3-5; D&C 76:107; TG Grace; BD Grace
2 He was the Great aJehovah of the Old Testament, the bMessiah of the New. Under the direction of His Father, He was the ccreator of the earth. "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made" (John 1:3). Though sinless, He was dbaptized to fulfill all righteousness. He e"went about doing good", yet was despised for it. His gospel was a message of fpeace and goodwill. He entreated all to gfollow His example. He walked the roads of Palestine, hhealing the sick, icausing the blind to see, and jraising the dead. He taught the truths of eternity, the kreality of our premortal existence, the lpurpose of our life on earth, and the mpotential for the sons and daughters of God in the life to come.
- Exodus 3:13-14; John 8:58; TG Jesus Christ, Jehovah; BD Jehovah
- John 4:25-26; Luke 4:17-21; Isaiah 61:1-2; TG Jesus Christ, Messiah
- Hebrews 1:2; TG Jesus Christ, Creator
- 2 Nephi 31:1; TG Jesus Christ, Baptism of
- Luke 2:14
- Acts 10:38
- Mark 10:21; TG Jesus Christ, Examplar
- Matthew 4:23; Mark 1:34; TG Heal, Healing
- Isaiah 61:1-2; John 9:1; TG Blind; BD Blindness
- John 11:43
- John 9:2-3
- Matthew 16:24-26; John 10:10
- John 14:2-3; Luke 23:43
3 aHe binstituted the sacrament as a reminder of His great atoning sacrifice. He was carrested and dcondemned on spurious charges, econvicted to satisfy a mob, and sentenced to die on Calvary's cross. He gave His life to atone for the sins of all mankind. fHis was a great vicarious gift in behalf of all who would ever live upon the earth.
- See Study Helps: Harmony of the Gospels
- Matthew 26:26-29; Mark 14:18-21; JST Mark 14:20-26 (appendix); Luke 22:15-20
- Matthew 26:56; Mark 14:46-50; Luke 22:52-54; John 18:12
- See Luke 22:54-71 and Luke 23:1-17 for an account of all 5 recorded hearings; Also see Study Helps: Harmony of the Gospels, Sections prefixed with "Hearing before..."
- Matthew 27:24-26
- Helaman 8:18; Jacob 4:4; Jarom 1:11; Mosiah 3:13, Mosiah 16:6; BD Atonement, TG Jesus Christ, Atonement through; TG Jesus Christ, Prophecies About
4 We solemnly testify that His life, which is central to all human history, aneither began in Bethlehem bnor concluded on Calvary. He was the cFirstborn of the Father, the dOnly Begotten Son in the flesh, the Redeemer of the world.
- John 17:5; John 8:56-59; 3 Nephi 1:12-13; TG Jesus Christ, Antemortal Existence of
- 1 Peter 3:18-19; D&C 138:16
- D&C 93:21; Moses 2:26; TG Jesus Christ, Firstborn
- John 3:16; TG Jesus Christ, Only Begotten Son
5 He rose from the grave to a"become the firstfruits of them that slept". As Risen Lord, He visited among bthose He had loved in life. He also ministered among His c"other sheep" in ancient America. In the modern world, He and His Father dappeared to the boy Joseph Smith, ushering in the elong-promised "fdispensation of the fulness of times".
- 1 Corinthians 15:20
- John 20:11-18; Mark 16:12-14; Luke 24:13-49; John 20:26-29
- John 10:16; 3 Nephi 11:1
- Joseph Smith History 1:17-20
- Ephesians 1:10
- D&C 112:30; D&C 121:31; TG Dispensations
6 Of the Living Christ, the Prophet Joseph awrote:
His eyes were as a flame of fire; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow; his countenance shone above the brightness of the sun; and his voice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters, even the voice of Jehovah, saying:
"I am the first and the last; I am he who liveth, I am he who was slain; I am your advocate with the Father."
7 Of Him the Prophet also adeclared:
And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!
For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father--
That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God.
8 We adeclare in words of solemnity that His bpriesthood and His cChurch have been restored upon the earth--d"built upon the foundation of...apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone".
- "The Restoration of the Fulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ", A Bicentennial Proclamation to the World
- D&C 13
- D&C 115:4
- Ephesians 2:20
9 We testify that He will someday areturn to earth. b"And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together". He will rule as cKing of Kings and dreign as Lord of Lords, and eevery knee shall bend and every tongue shall speak in worship before Him. Each of us will stand to be judged of Him according to our fworks and the gdesires of our hearts.
- Matthew 16:27; Acts 1:11; Jesus Christ, Second Coming
- Isaiah 40:5
- 1 Timothy 6:15
- Revelation 11:15; Jesus Christ, Millennial Reign
- D&C 76:110
- D&C 76:111
- Alma 41:5; D&C 7; 1 Samuel 16:7
10 aWe bear testimony, as His duly ordained Apostles—that Jesus is the Living Christ, the immortal Son of God. He is the great King Immanuel, who stands today on the right hand of His Father. He is the light, the blife, and the hope of the world. His way is the path that leads to happiness in this life and eternal life in the world to come. God be thanked for the matchless cgift of His divine Son.
The First Presidency
Gordon B. Hinckley
Thomas S. Monson
James E. Faust
The Quorum of the Twelve
Boyd K. Packer
L. Tom Perry
David B. Haight
Neal A. Maxwell
Russell M. Nelson
Dallin H. Oaks
M. Russell Ballard
Joseph B. Wirthlin
Richard G. Scott
Robert D. Hales
Jeffrey R. Holland
Henry B. Eyring